Chrissie Wellington Shatters Ironman World Record In Arizona

Chrissie Wellington made apology for missing out on a fourth world triathlon Ironman title as she stormed to a new world record over the demanding distance in Arizona.

Wellington completed the 140-mile course eight hours and 36 minutes and 13 seconds - a most excellent for sanctioned Ironman event.

But her time was still 17 minutes short of the overall long-distance world record she created at Germany's Challenge Roth in July.

Leanda Cave, who finished second to Jodie Swallow in the recent half Ironman World Championships, came home third to underline Britain's power in depth over longer distances.

"After missing defending my title, it's a great way to finish the season," said Wellington.

"I never anticipated a world record but I just seemed to thrive on the energy of the crowd and I'm so pleased I've done justice to all my hard work."
Bookmark and Share