Ivanovic Attains Tennis Rankings After First Title In Two Years


Former world number one Ana Ivanovic has climbed to a year high of 26th in the rankings following breaking her WTA Tour title drought.

The Serb ended a run of two years without a winner's trophy , defeating Patty Schnyder in direct sets in the final of the Generali Ladies Linz tournament in Austria.

Ivanovic -who was a last-minute replacement in the draw for the hurt Serena Williams took just 47 minutes to dispose of her Swiss opponent 6-1 6-2.

It was her second achievement at the hard-court event, with her win there in 2008 her last on the women's singles circuit.

"It's just astonishing how some things turn out. This is my first title since I won here in 2008, so it's very special. I feel very excellent here and am really happy to have come back this week," the 2008 French Open champion told the official WTA website after claiming her ninth career title.

Since rising to the top of the world rankings in 2008, the 22-year-old has suffered a dip in form due to illness and injury that has seen her fall to as stumpy as 65 in the world earlier this year.

But seeded seventh in Austria, Ivanovic did not drop a set all week and Schnyder was not capable to provide much of a challenge to the rejuvenated champion in the final.

"I had self-belief from my last few matches and that helped me stay forceful today. I took a lot of risks and stepped in a lot," she said.

"I believed in my shots and made them count, and I'm very satisfied with that." Bookmark and Share